I cannot tell you how excited I am that it’s summer squash season. Zucchini is one of those veggies that we always have around during the summer and I throw it into anything I can. They are so affordable right now and there is a million things you can do with that delicious green-skinned veggie. Breads, muffins, ragout, sautéed with olive oil and garlic and tossed with pasta, used in frittatas, you get my drift and now I’m drooling. You name it, I’ve probably done it…except for turn it into noodles. That’s something I don’t have any desire to try. I just don’t want to. You can’t make me. Neener neener (so grown-up of me. I know) I’m sure it’s tasty – I just like my noodles filled with carbs.
By the way! Don’t be one of “those people” who try to sneak squash in place of noodles thinking no one will notice, and you’ll get to be all “SEE! It tastes exactly the same!! And it’s so much better for you!!” No. They will notice and they will never trust you again. How would you like it if I gave you water when you were expecting vodka. NOT SO MUCH FUN NOW, IS IT?! Just be honest and say you’re trying something new. It goes over better that way.
Sorry about that….
Back to my point.
Even though I love zucchini it’s not a veggie the kids get excited about when they hear it’s in the dinner line up. Hubby swears he doesn’t like it (even though one of his most requested dinners from me is based around zucchini….hmmm…) They are singing a different tune now that I made these parmesan zucchini crisps. Sissy has asked for them every night for 2 weeks now. Hubby loves them with my spicy greek yogurt dipping sauce, and Buddy calls them chips and happily munches them down. Crispy, cheesy, baked goodness that goes perfectly along side a burger or just as a snack. They are SO FREAKING YUM!
Baked Parmesan Zucchini Crisps
2 medium zucchini
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon water
hot sauce (optional)
1 cup panko
1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Put flour in bowl, or ziploc bag. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine panko, breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese in separate bowl.
- In a third bowl, Whisk 2 eggs with water and a few dashes of hot sauce. The hot sauce is completely optional. I always add a few dashes to my egg washes when breading things. It doesn’t make it spicy, just adds a little extra something in the background. If you like things on the spicier side, just add more.
- Slice zucchini about 1/4 inch thick.
- Dredge zucchini in flour, then egg wash, then panko mixture making sure both sides are coated.
- Place zucchini in rows on baking sheet and spray tops with more cooking spray.
- Bake for 10-12 mins, flip zucchini slices, bake for 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
If you enjoy my posts and want to see more don’t forget to like, pin, and share using the buttons below. Follow me on Facebook at Taking Babysteps so you don’t miss anything!