Sissy’s school held her spring dance last week. She looked adorable and actually wanted to dress up for it. She put her own spin on her outfit, but that was fine with me. I was just happy that I got her out of denim shorts and t-shirts. I also win the award for mother-of-the-year because I forgot to take pictures of this momentous occasion. I’ve considered having her put the same outfit on just for pictures. By the time she’s grown up she’ll forget that it wasn’t the same night of the dance, right?
Her school’s special events are usually held on Thursday nights. It makes for one hectic evening. Trying to get everything done, and the kids in bed on time, on a “regular” school night can be crazy some days. Toss in an event that essentially takes 2-2 1/2 hours out of our routine? That is pretty much a recipe for disaster. In hopes of avoiding a meltdown from the kids (lets be honest, me and hubby too) I turned to my crock pot to take some of the stress out. I started it shortly before I left to pick up sissy and it was ready when hubby got home. Easy and tasty, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Crockpot Honey Sesame Chicken
- 1-1 1/2lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (you can add more if you like it spicier)
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- salt, pepper
1. Place chicken in crockpot. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Whisk together diced onion, honey, garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, white wine vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flake, and sesame oil in bowl. Pour over chicken
3. Cover, cook on low 3-4 hours (2 hours on high) or until chicken is cooked through.
4. Remove chicken from crockpot, leaving liquid, set aside.
5. Turn crockpot to high
6. Mix cornstarch with water and add to liquid in crockpot
7. Cover crockpot
8. While liquid is thickening, shred chicken.
9. Add chicken back to crockpot, stir.
Serve with jasmine rice and broccoli
Don’t miss a post! Follow me using the links in the sidebar on the right!